Downtown Evanston is a 501(c)(6) non-profit corporation that provides marketing, special event, placemaking and management services to the downtown Evanston business district. The overall mission of the organization is to market, maintain, develop, and improve the vitality of the local economy and quality of life. Established in 1987, Downtown Evanston is governed by a Board of Directors and works in partnership with the commercial property, business owners and organizations in downtown, and City of Evanston. Read more about Downtown Evanston in the 2021 Annual Report.
- Physical maintenance is a key responsibility, including supervision of sidewalk cleaning, trash collection, litter removal, landscaping maintenance and seasonal plantings.
- The placemaking initiatives include holiday lighting and decor on streetlights, festive decorations at Fountain Square, district-wide banner program, and outdoor seating, big games and public art throughout downtown.
- Downtown Evanston regularly works with City officials, commission members and citizen groups regarding strategic issues affecting the area. Examples include streetscape updates, placemaking initiatives, and economic development.
- Downtown Evanston coordinates and markets annual events including Thursday Night Markets, Fall Fest, Sidewalk Sale, Holiday Tree Lighting and more.
- Marketing initiatives including annual advertising campaigns, biweekly newsletters, social media campaigns. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for daily updates.
If a business, organization or other entity is interested in hosting an event at Fountain Square or one that would require street closures, please reach out to the City of Evanston Parks & Recreation to apply for a special event permit. Click here to learn more about the process.2021 Annual Report 2020 Annual Report 2019 Annual Report 2018 Annual Report Strategic Plan